My Blog List

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Taos


New Mexico has always held a special place in my heart.  I lived in Albuquerque for a few years as a child and my family went back to visit on occasion while I was growing up.  With my mom being an artist, I grew up with a pretty deep appreciation for art and artistic culture.  My mom was fluent in Spanish and spent part of her career as a Spanish high school teacher.  She has always loved the unique cultural experience of a place like Taos...and she must have passed it on to me. 

Enter: Random and Fairly Unplanned Trip.  These are a such good thing!  About a week ago, my mom invited me to drive down and stay with her in a rented "casita" in Taos.  She was on her way down there to take a week-long abstract painting class and thought that if I could arrange to get away then we would have a great time.  I didn't have to think about this one for long!

AND...what better way to practice my photography skills!...to practice shooting in Manual mode!

So I packed my wagon and headed south for a few days.  I'm so happy I did!  My mom and I had the best time together and I was able to get much more comfortable with that "M" mode.  Here's a summary of my trip...complete with (what I think are) beautiful photos!

I was pleasantly surprised it took me only 4 hours to drive to Taos from Colorado Springs.  It was a beautiful drive (and on a gorgeous September day). Why don't I go there more often?  I might have to make this trip a yearly one.

 I added this picture to honor all of you Chevron-pattern lovers.  I love the pattern myself!

"Where the streets have no name"...well, this street probably has a name...I just didn't catch it.  Every time I look at this picture I think of the U2 song - not sure why.

Lodging
This is the little "casita" we stayed in.  Hmmm...maybe this picture is a bit overexposed, but it is such a cute casita...very old and authentic, yet well maintained (and very reasonably priced!)
  
Food
Shortly after arriving to town, my mom and I met some of her painting friends at Graham's Grill...a very yummy Mexican food restaurant that you should definitely try if you find yourself in this neck of the woods.  I will warn you about their margaritas though...THEY ARE STRONG!!

Lunch at Lula's...best reuben sandwich EVER!

I guess this was "fast food", because it was fast!  But sooooo yummy.  I'd go to the Guadalajara Grill over and over and over again.  Here's an interesting fact: apparently a Mexican Fanta is made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, which is in an American Fanta!




Buildings and doors ...interesting ones everywhere!

The Yarn Shop
Aunt Suzy, these pictures are for you!

An Artist
(my beautiful mom)
Her work can be found here

Mom, I really wish we would have bought you one of these!

Some of her supplies
 

Art Around Taos
window of the book store

a painted wall at the art center

interesting banner


Taos Farmer's Market
I'm really turning in to a sucker for farmer's market photography.

Door Knob Photography

Luminarias
The outside of our casita was decorated at night with these beautiful luminarias.

And a quick preview to my next post... Old Trucks in Taos!  I will need to give my old truck photography a post of it's own...they are so cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment