My Blog List

Monday, September 5, 2011

Take Me to the Penny Arcade!

The Penny Arcade is located in the heart of Manitou Springs near Colorado Springs.  It's amazingly fun!  I haven't spent time here since I was in high school, which was a long time ago.  With some relatives in town over this Labor Day weekend, I was searching for something fun for ages 6-44 and this place turned out to be the perfect entertainment!  Something for everyone (including me...a photographer's paradise!)  Much of the arcade is outdoor and our early September weather couldn't have been more beautiful - 70 degrees with a very slight breeze and a bright blue sky.  We ended up going 2 days in a row!

Yes, it's the Penny Arcade, but nearly everything is at least 25 cents...although my husband did find ONE gumball machine selling tiny gumballs for a penny each.

What was my very favorite attraction at the arcade?  Well, I had to rub my eyes when I first saw this vintage photo booth...was I dreaming?  What could be cooler?  So what if it was "out of order"!!  I had my swank camera along!  The possibilites seemed endless...all I needed was a few cooperative subjects to help me out!  I love the orange curtains!  They are what I call "Camping Equipment Orange".  It seems to me like the kind of orange found on old (and new) camping equipment...and exactly the color of my dad's 1970's jacket...ummm, yes, that I think he still wears from time to time.  I love you, Dad!

I dug up a picture taken at the exact same place in the 1970's!  Just kidding!  I've been having a little bit too much fun in Photoshop Elements!  It looks sooo old school!  I love it...and I love it that there are actually people in it and I don't have a hot clue who they are (but they apparently didn't get the memo about the booth being out of order).  I'm no style interpreter, but I think their shoes might even be a little bit 70's-ish.  When I look at this photo I definitely feel some peace, love and happiness.

A couple (I have three) of my cute girls!

There is an abundance, and I do mean abundance, of candy and trinket machines at the Penny Arcade!  I think there are as many of these machines as there are arcade games.  The kids went nutts!  I kindof did, too, 'cuz I'm a sucker for Mike and Ike's and Reece's Pieces.  It's a great place for the average underage trinket collector, like my kids.  Whoa!  They especially went wild over the multi-colored bouncy balls.  You will also find cool, funky mirrors and a strange substance for sale called "Disappearing Ink"...ever bought any before?

While walking around, I snapped a shot of this door.  I was supposed to have taken a picture of a door for Digital Photography School.  This isn't that impressive, but it's something. 

For these next few pics, I actually offered to PAY my son and my nephew a few quarters to hang out behind this counter while I experimented with some portrait work.  (You know, it's not very cool to do this sort of thing in public for your mom when you're almost a teenager.)  Thank you, Boys!

There happens to be a very fun playground about a block away from the arcade with a type of swing that I have never seen anywhere.  The kids were thrilled!

Sometimes we all need to have a little "staycation", so that we can hang out near home, rediscover something from our past and appreciate what is in our own backyard.  These two cute siblings, my niece and nephew, are from Michigan and they love to visit Colorado...and we're always happy to show them around! 

No comments:

Post a Comment