My Blog List

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ruby the Camp Dog


At home, our sweet dog, Ruby, is often referred to as Ruby Girl, Poodle-Poo, Poo-Poo, Ruby-Roo, etc.  But while out camping in the Colorado woods, Ruby prefers to go by Ruby the Camp Dog.  It's a much more rugged nickname. Today Ruby the Camp Dog is getting spayed.  No puppies for Ruby!  I just got a call from the vet saying that she did great and is waking up.  While worrying about her this morning (wish I could be holding her paw right now), I happened to look at some recent photos of her from our last camping trip of this past summer...a super fun trip we took in early August to Rocky Mountain National Park. The 2011 summer camping season was a good one for us...my family was blessed with many good times and plenty of campfire flames.  Here are some of my favorite pictures of my Ruby and that last summer camping trip.  (Yes, she really does have a heart-shaped white spot on her chest.)


Hot dog stealer!

Ruby brings us so much joy every single day!  What did I ever do without her?  Life must have been a little bit boring.

Every camper has a couple of favorite camping accessories that make trips a bit easier.  This bright orange (what I call Camping Equipment Orange) basket is one of those favorites for me!  I picked this up at a Coleman outlet store about 5 years ago.  I love it!  I mostly use it for carrying necessary items back and forth between the back of the car (where the food is always kept securely away from the bears!), the camper and the picnic table.  If a bear were ever to carry this off, I'd be pretty upset!

Another favorite accessory!  My grandma gave my husband and I this camping stove for our wedding in 1997.  It still works awesome and is essential in cooking up some good eats for dinner!

I thought these flowers (don't know what they're called) were so beautiful!  Until the campground host told me they are a naughty plant that grows too profusely and is taking over spots where native plants should be growing instead.  I don't think they are as pretty anymore.

One of my favorite things to do while camping is to take walks through the campground and kindof scope out how other people set up their campsites...check out their equipment and ideas from afar.  I thought this makeshift camp swing was a great idea...might have to try it sometime soon!  My kids would love it!  A piece of firewood, some rope and some duct tape - who knew?

Taken from the trail around Sprague Lake.

Ruby the Camp Dog and other pets aren't allowed on the trails in Rocky Mountain National Park.  At first I was bummed...

...but when I came upon this huge moose (yes, very scary...I've heard they are one of the most dangerous animals) while hiking around Sprague Lake, I quickly realized it was a wonderful thing that Ruby the Camp Dog wasn't along on this hike.  I'm pretty sure it would have been Ruby or the Moose...and Ruby would've been the one to lose.  Scary moose, but he is absolutely gorgeous!

Ahhh...is there anything better than an incredible campfire at the end of a day of camping?  Nope.  Nothing.  I can't think of anything.

Umm...okay...unless it's a campfire complete with the fixings for s'mores and a couple of pans of Jiffy Pop!  Then that is definitely better.  This stuff rocks!

Here's my attempt at some nighttime campfire photography...what a trick this can be (without a flash, of course)!!  These pictures were taken at ISO 1600, about 1/20 sec. and f/1.8

I have a new hobby to announce!  I'm going to start taking pictures of vintage campers I find while on my camping travels!  This is the second one I have photographed this summer.  I love them!  I wish I could photograph the old Coleman pop-up I used to camp in with my family while growing up...but it caught on fire...yes, while we were camping with it (another story for another time).  Maybe someday I will make a calendar out of my vintage camper pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment